Saturday 25 July 2020

Keeping me guessing

This is the swarm I caught in a bait hive early in the summer, not from one of my hives.  The queen was unmarked but she laid immediately so it was a prime swarm.  I marked the queen green (2019 colour) although I obviously didn't know how old she was.  Two weeks ago the colony was thriving but had put up three charged queen cells.  With only three I thought there was a chance they might be for supersedure.  However, as the colony was short of space, with brood on all 11 frames plus a fairly full super, I took out the queen cells and put in an extra brood box full of foundation.

A week later the bees had drawn out all the new frames and nearly filled them.  Five new frames also had eggs and I found no more queen cells.  I didn't spot the queen but wasn't really looking for her.

Today, another week later, I found brood in all stages, including plenty of eggs.  Then on the 14th of 15 brood frames I found two sealed queen cells.


And on the 15th brood frame I found an unmarked queen!

I went back carefully through all the other frames but couldn't find a marked queen.  I also found no sign of a recently opened queen cell.

So now I am not sure what is going on.  There is obviously a laying queen in the hive and the queen I saw today is probably a new superseded queen, although it could be that all the green paint has been chewed off the original queen (who was still well painted when last seen).  If this is a new queen it is odd that there are two new queen cells.

This time I have assumed the bees know what they are doing.  I have left things as they are and haven't yet marked the new queen.

I presume a prime swarm will have to supersede at some stage because it can't keep swarming with an older and older queen.  I shall be very interested to see what I find next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment