Saturday 11 July 2020

Bad timing

More adventures.  I did a split earlier in the year, putting the queen and some bees into a six frame nuc.  They built up well and I added a second six frame box.  I expected they would continue to thrive but the subsequent cool, windy and wet weather meant I didn't get to look at them again.  I did, however, order some more foundation and I was happily making up frames yesterday, planning to give them more room today, when I heard the roar of a swarm.  It had been raining in the morning and they chose a brief sunny spell on a very showery afternoon.  I walked round to my neighbour's garden to check where they had landed and found them in a mahonia.

I saw black clouds coming in from the north and moments later it was pouring with rain.  Plenty of time for a cup of tea and a check on England's (lack of) progress in the Test.  When I got back an hour or so later there were a lot of very soggy bees, including quite a few on the ground.  I wedged a nuc into the top of a stepladder under the swarm and gave the bush a good shake.  A lot of bees fell in and I put a crown board partly on top and watched.

Some bees were fanning but most were mooching around.  Then I noticed a flash of green amongst the throng. The queen was wandering around, mumbling and grumbling, asking whose idea it was to swarm on a day like this.

So I tipped her into the box and the others set about following her in, with lots of fanning at the entrance.

I put the box on the ground to encourage the bees there to go in and came home for another cup of tea and a check on the cricket (not good news).

After another heavy shower I looked again and most of the bees were inside.  Later that evening I brought them home and set them up right next to where they started from.  I just had time to pop in the frames I had made up earlier before it started raining again.  This photo was taken under the shelter of an umbrella.

It is said that a swarm in July is not with a fly but this one is a fair size.  If it builds up well it may go into the winter.  If not I can unite it with the parent colony.

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the awesome roar of a swarm in progress. Like standing beside a 747 as it takes off. Glad you were able to bring it back home. I take it that your green marked queen was born last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was Florence, and is now in her third hive this year. She is certainly very productive (and prone to swarm).

      Delete