Thursday 16 August 2018

Under attack

At around this time of year I usually think to myself that I have never eaten so many raspberries before and I have never seen so many wasps before.  This year, for once, both things are probably true.  It has been a good (or bad, depending how you look at it) year for wasps but now they are turning their attention to the hives.  I have put out wasp traps which are catching some but there are plenty of others left to make a nuisance of themselves.

The guards do their best but it is difficult for them to stop all the intruders.

When they do catch one it is usually bad news for the wasp.




One of my hives seemed to being targeted more than the others so I have already reduced the entrance to two bees wide.  This makes it easier for the guards to police the incomers and doesn't seem to cause any congestion, even at busy times of the day.  I'll plan to do the same with the other hives in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment